Villa La Magia
Villa La Magia, on the Quarrata offshoot of the Montalbano area, is a Medici villa which has recently been recognised as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The villa is surrounded by a historic park which has long acted as splendid backdrop to a residence which has hosted illustrious guests who stayed here to devote themselves to hunting above all.
The original fifteenth century residence underwent renovation work between 1600 and 1700 which further improved it adding a monumental stairway, frescoes and decorations by eminent artists of the era such as Giovanni Bagnoli, Giovan Domenico Ferretti and Tommaso Gherardini. Of the villa’s majestic external areas worthy of special mention are its Renaissance parterre garden, two lemon groves, romantic garden, chapel and its monumental gate by architect Antonio Gamberai in exquisitely Neoclassical style. It passed into Quarrata town council’s hands in 2000.
The villa contains an extensive permanent collection of modern and contemporary works of art set out in a park-museum of rare beauty in which the works of artists such as Marco Bagnoli, Daniel Buren, Fabrizio Corneli, Hidetoshi Nagasawa, Maurizio Nannucci, blend into the surrounding landscape and merge into the spirit of the place and its history.